Hubert Allen Dixon
Sketch On The Life Of H.A. Dixon
Allen Dixon was born October 3, 1904, at Delrose, Tennessee, in Lincoln County. His parents were Albert and
Mary C. (Sumners) Dixon.
Schools that he attended were Morgan Prep
School, Middle Tennessee University, Freed-Hardeman College, University of
Alabama (B.A.). He was a member of Phi Beta Kappa. Both Harding University and
Pepperdine University presented Dixon with an LL.D.
October 5, 1929, Dixon married Mary Louise Cowan. To this union one boy and
one girl were born. The son was named Hubert Allen, Jr., and the daughter was
named Sara (now Mrs. Glenn Sargent).
began preaching in 1936 in Memphis, Tennessee. Places where he did full time
local work were: Martin, Tennessee; Springfield, Missouri (South National
Church); Jackson, Tennessee (Highland Church); Tuscaloosa, Alabama (Central
Church). States in which he preached were Tennessee, Alabama, Missouri,
Kentucky, Mississippi, Massachusetts, New York, Virginia, California,
Illinois, Texas, and Louisiana.
A. Dixon might not be considered by the world as a Bible scholar, but the
tremendous things that he accomplished, the positions that he held, the
influence that he wielded, the example that he set before us testify that he
was. He had a hunger and thirst for a knowledge of the Bible which led him to
study it for himself. He read with regularity the works of great men who
commented on the sacred scriptures, and took advantage of association with
great men who were able to teach him. He worked seven years with G. C. Brewer
and the Union Avenue Church in Memphis, Tennessee. Brewer was doubtless a
scholar and Dixon considered those years worth more to him than a degree in
served on the board of directors for Voice
of Freedom. He was a staff writer for Minister's
Monthly, and contributed articles to the Gospel Advocate. He was called upon to preach many baccalaureate
sermons or addresses, speaking at the University of Mississippi in 1967 on
"Some Reasons Why I Believe in God." Christian colleges sought him
for many lectures, and he accommodated them when he could. His last lecture
was at Harding Graduate School, October 27, 1969, on the theme, "The
Church and Sound Doctrine.
A. Dixon became a Christian at the age of 13, being the only one baptized in a
meeting in which J. W. Brents did the preaching at Delrose. His father was a
devout Christian, a fine song leader and taught singing schools. He saw his
mother obey the gospel, knowing that act would cut her off from her own family.
The courage of his mother had a profound effect on him throughout his life.
led singing in a meeting at Martin, Tennessee, in which I. A. Douthitt did the
preaching. At the close of the meeting the church invited Dixon to serve as
their full-time minister. After preaching there for two years he moved to
Springfield, Missouri, to work with the South National Church. In 1940 he began
preaching for the Highland Church (now Allen and Edgewood) in Jackson,
Tennessee. Here he spoke regularly over the radio as one of the opportunities he
had to preach the gospel. The next move was to Tuscaloosa, Alabama, to work with
the Central Church (now Wood Avenue) in 1943. In 1948 the Dixon family moved to
Florence, Alabama, to work with the Poplar Street Church (now Wood Avenue).
1950 N. B. Hardeman retired from the presidency of Freed-Hardeman College. The
Board of Directors unanimously selected H. A. Dixon as president of the school.
Dixon assumed his office as President of Freed-Hardeman College in June of 1950.
followed the pattern of Hardeman in teaching two Bible classes daily, continuing
with only one interruption until his death. He taught the books of Revelation,
Hebrews and Romans. In addition, he taught courses on Premillennialism and
Christian Evidences. These classes were offered primarily to second and third
year students. Classes which gave him opportunity to teach freshmen were the
Life of Christ and General Epistles.
of souls have been saved and strengthened through his firm and courageous
proclamation of the Bible. His life and good influence touched the lives of
thousands of students. He was nationally and internationally recognized as a
faithful gospel preacher, a scholarly teacher and an eminent Christian
educator." Two Christian colleges honored him with the LL.D. degree.
foreign student program was very close to his heart. In 1956 he conducted the
Far East Fellowship in Japan.
quotation attributed to him is as follows: "We will not fulfill the great
commission until we believe with all our hearts that people throughout the
world who do not believe in Christ and have not obeyed the gospel are lost
unless they do, and that we are lost unless we preach the gospel to all the
Allen Dixon departed this life November 8, 1969, in the hospital at Jackson,
Tennessee. He was survived by his wife, Mary Louise, one son, Hubert Allen, Jr.,
and one daughter, Sara (now Mrs. Glenn Sargent). Funeral service was conducted
at Henderson, Tennessee, with Tom Holland, C. P.
Roland, and E. Claude Gardner officiating. Burial was in the City Cemetery at Henderson.
the passing of Hubert Allen Dixon, truly a great soldier of the cross went home
to be with the Lord.
In Memoriam, Gussie Lambert, Shreveport, LA, c.1988. pp.71-73
The Jackson Sun Obituary of Mrs. Dixon
Louise Cowan Dixon, HENDERSON
Mary Louise Cowan Dixon, age 100, died
Wednesday, November 9, 2005 at Bright Glade Convalescent Center in Memphis. She
was born and reared in Jefferson City, Tennessee, the daughter of the late
Andrew Walker and Eva Mae Harris Cowan. She attended schools in Jefferson City
and earned her Bachelor of Arts degree from Carson-Newman College with a double
major in English and history. She taught in public schools in Hampshire,
Tennessee and was married to H. A. Dixon on October 5, 1929.
The Dixons made their home in Memphis, Martin, Springfield, MO, Jackson, TN,
Tuscaloosa, AL, Florence, AL, and then in Henderson, TN for fifty years
(1950-2000). Brother Dixon served as minister for the churches of Christ in
those cities. The past few years she has lived in Jackson and Memphis.
Mrs. Dixon was "First Lady" of Freed-Hardeman College (University) from 1950 to
1969. Her husband served as President of the University until his death in 1969.
Mrs. Dixon was instrumental, along with others, in founding the FHU Associates,
a ladies' group that raises funds for student scholarships at the university.
She was awarded an honorary Doctor of Humanities degree by Freed-Hardeman
University on May 5, 1990.
Mrs. Dixon was a member of the church of Christ since 1934; a member of the
Henderson congregation for fifty years and then a member of the North Jackson
church. She was a ladies' Bible class teacher, having taught classes for many
years in Henderson. She also had taught ladies' classes during the
Freed-Hardeman annual Lectureships.
Mrs. Dixon returned to Henderson, May 2005, for a reception in the church
building in celebration of her 100th birthday.
Mrs. Dixon, the last of nine children, is survived by a son, Allen Dixon and
wife Mary Jo of Memphis; and a daughter, Sara Dixon Sargent and husband Glenn of
Mobile, AL. She has seven grandchildren, sixteen great grandchildren, and one
Funeral services will be 2:00 PM Sunday at the Henderson Church of Christ with
family members Steve Sargent, Tom Dixon, Sid Dye, David Sargent, David James,
and Glenn Sargent officiating. Burial will follow in the Henderson City
Cemetery. The family will receive friends at Casey Funeral Home from 3:00 PM
until 6:00 PM on Saturday, and at noon Sunday at the church building. Memorials
may be made to the H. A. and Louise Dixon Scholarship Fund at Freed-Hardeman
University, Henderson, Tennessee. Casey Funeral Home Henderson, TN 731-989-2421.
As reported in The Jackson Sun: 11/11/2005
Special Thanks To Tom
Childers For Providing The Jackson Sun Article And Picture Of Louise Dixon
Location Of The
Grave Of H.A. Dixon
Hubert Allen and Louise Dixon are buried in
City Cemetery at Henderson, Tennessee. From I-40 in West Tennessee, take
the Hwy 45 exit south. Go through the city of Jackson, and continue south
about 15 miles to Henderson. You will be on the bypass in Henderson. Go to
you come to Hwy. 100. Turn left and go to the next stop. Turn left on
North Church St.. Go about 100 yards and turn into the cemetery on the
right. The cemetery will fork close to the entrance. Take the right fork
and head to the very rear of the cemetery. Just past a little storage
house on the right, stop the car and you will probably see the Dixon grave
to your right. Grave faces East.
N35º 26' 20.2" x WO 88º 38' 40.4"
Accuracy To Within 20'
Blinking Button To See Map & Other Graves At Henderson Cemetery