J. Harvey Dykes
Sketch On The Life Of J. Harvey Dykes
Harvey Dykes was born at Hammond, Oklahoma, December 13, 1909. He
was baptized by C. P. Roland in 1926. He was married to Miss
Elizabeth Pankratz in 1931. To this union were born two sons,
Patrick and Kermit.
Harvey Dykes began preaching at Cordell, Oklahoma, in 1926. Colleges
he attended were Oklahoma Christian College, Harding College (B.A.),
Wayne State (M.A.), Postmasters Studies Department of Speech, W.S.U.
of the churches that Dykes served were Capitol Hill, Oklahoma City,
Oklahoma, (1933-35); Cleveland Avenue, Wichita, Kansas, (1936-41);
Strathmoor, Detroit, Michigan, (1945-50); Vinewood Avenue, Detroit,
Harvey Dykes had been a preacher of the gospel 35 years before
joining the Harding faculty in 1967 as an Assistant Professor of
Speech. From his youth, he was an effective gospel preacher. He was
a diligent student of the Scriptures and was an eloquent speaker.
Most of his work was done in Oklahoma, Kansas, and Michigan, but he
held meetings in 35 States.
served as Director of the Bible Chair at Oklahoma State for several
years and helped start the Bible Chair at Central State University
in Edmond, Oklahoma. He taught in the Preston Road School of
Preaching in Dallas.
retiring, he and his wife moved to Charleston, Arkansas, and he
preached full time until failing health forced them to return to
Searcy. He was co-author of "Ready Answers to Religious Errors," and
was the author of "1900 Years Ago The Church of Christ Was
Established." He contributed many articles to religious papers.
Harvey Dykes has surviving brothers, John Lee Dykes of Searcy and
William Ira and Burrell Dykes, both of Houston, Texas; two sisters,
Mrs. Mabel Keckley of Atlanta, Georgia, and Mrs. Uzella Ilene Rice
of San Diego, California. He had three grandchildren.
funeral service was held at the College Church of Christ in Searcy
and burial was in White County Memorial Gardens.
Dykes, the former Elizabeth Pankratz, was a reference librarian and
Assistant Professor of Library Sciences. While she worked, Harding
library collection grew from 90,900 volumes to 173,900 volumes and
circulation of materials grew from 50,000 to 110,000.
Sweethearts from high school in Cordell, Oklahoma, the Dykes were
married July 24, 1931, and celebrated, with their families, a golden
wedding anniversary in the summer of 1981. They exemplified a love
and friendship that should exist between husband and wife. They
enjoyed being with each other and remained sweethearts to the end.
Each tried to out serve the other out of deep and genuine love for
each other. When she died, her loving husband lived only 18 days
before following her into eternal glory.
Dykes' had two sons, Patrick, a businessman in Lakewood, Colorado,
and Kermit, a Physics Professor at the U.S. Naval Academy,
Other survivors of Mrs. Dykes include a brother, Ferd Pankratz of
Gussie Lambert, c.1988, pages 82-84
an email dated August 09, 2005 we received an update from a family
member with this information on survivors. "Now,
all of the brothers are gone and one of the sisters. Only Uzella
Dykes Rice survives. You might be interested to know that Harvey
Dykes, father of J. Harvey went with George Benson first to
Morrilton, Arkansas and then to Searcy and built several of the
buildings on the campus, several of which are still standing. He
died on the campus on 1941. Bertha Hall Dykes, lived in Cathcart
Hall and died in 1955 also on the campus. Patrick H. Dykes also
attended Harding University along with many of the cousins." -
Directions To The
Grave Of J. Harvey Dykes
J. Harvey Dykes
is buried in the White County Memorial Gardens in Searcy, Arkansas.
White County Memorial Gardens
is located on the southeast side of Searcy. Enter the cemetery and
dead end. Turn right, note statue of Jesus in center of section to
your left. Go to the next left and go to the sidewalk in the center
of the section heading toward the statue of Jesus (west). Just a few
sections in look to your right and the Dykes monument will be there on
your right. See Map Page Here!
N35º 14' 548" x WO 91º 41' 367"
Garden Of Christus Lot 97, Section C, Space 1