Old Concord Church
Near Paris, Kentucky
Organized 1793


Old Concord Meetinghouse: See Photos Below Of Ruins

Old Concord Church was one of the original sites of the Kentucky Revival at the beginning of the 19th century. It was located north of Cane Ridge about 12 miles, and just south of the city of Carlisle, Kentucky. It was a Presbyterian church at one time whose minister, Barton W. Stone, led many to give up their creeds and man-made doctrines to take the Bible as their only guide for religious practice.

Subsequently, for years Concord was a Christian church. It was originally a log cabin, similar to what was built at Cane Ridge. Later a wood structure took its place. In the 1970's a storm came through destroying the structure, and the property now lies in ruins. There is a cemetery on the property, and it too has been allowed to be overgrown by weeds and undergrowth.

Though it did not receive the notoriety of Cane Ridge, it served the churches of Christ in that region for many, many decades. This website is dedicated to the memory of Old Concord and those who worked there to evangelize North Kentucky.


Organized, 1793, 2 1/2 miles south. Site of Presbyterian Church and school made famous by its pioneer pastors: John Rankin, Barton W. Stone, Sam'l Shannon, John Rogers, John P. Campbell, Samuel Rannels, Robert Marshall, Robert Finley, James Welsh. In 1851 control of Old Concord was relinquished to Christian Church. Log structure replaced by present church. 1860.
{Historic Marker In Downtown Carlisle, Kentucky}


Foundation Stone - Old Concord


Steps Into Building - Old Concord

Grave Yard - Old Concord

Location Of Old Concord Church

Concord church was ten miles northeast by east from Cane Ridge. It was on Taylor's Creek three miles southeast of present Carlisle, Kentucky. The meetinghouse was erected in 1793 on the lands of John Fowler. A tract of ninety-three and a quarter acres on which the house was located was conveyed by Fowler in 1802, "without any manner of condition" to "Trustees of Concord Congregation and their Successors" for the "consideration of the sum of Two Shillings," and "the necessity and usefulness of religion to Civil Society."
-Barton Warren Stone, C.W. Ware, page 69

History Home

History Index Page