Dr. Martin Hogan
Dr. Martin Hogan
Dr. Martin Hogan was born in Logan County, Kentucky, November 16, 1833. Martin was one of four sons and two daughters born to William and Mary (Wallace) Hogan. The elder Hogans were devout members of the Christian Church and reared their family in it.(1) (1 Goodspeed, p. 396.)
Martin Hogan's youthful days were spent on his father's farm where educational opportunities were limited. When he was 21 he entered school, first at Allensville, then the Oakland Institute, and later the Franklin Institute in Christian County, Kentucky. During the winter of 1857-58, he attended lectures at the Nashville Medical College, and in the winter of 1858-59 he studied at the Eclectic Medical College in Cincinnati, Ohio. from which he graduated as an M.D. in 1859.
He married Mary S. White, sister to Randolph County leader, Solomon M. White. on November 13, 1860, in Lyon County, Kentucky. Mary supported her husband in his medical practice in Logan, Livingston and Marshall Counties during the Civil War. They were recognized members of the Christian Church in those days.(2) (2 Ibid. 397).
After the War the Hogans migrated west to Randolph County, Arkansas, where Martin continued his practice of medicine and became a preacher in 1866. He was licensed to preach by the old Union Church of Christ.
Martin Hogan License to Preach
This is to certify that our beloved bro. Martin Hogan being judged faithful and able to teach was separated to the work of an evangelist by fasting prayer and laying on of hands of the Eldership of the Church of Christ at Union, 3rd Lord's day in November 1866.
J. R. Jones, Sinbe Prateur(3) (3 Randolph County Book 2, p. 485. J. R. Jones who signed Hogan's certification left Randolph County for an illustrious career as a gospel preacher in Texas.)
Old church records indicate that Hogan preached for some of the earliest New Testament churches in the County. He is credited with helping begin the Church of Christ at Maynard.(4) (4 Dalton, History of Randolph County. p. 291. See: Harnon and Susan Seawel, From Ox Teams to Computer Chips: A History of the Maynard Community, 1800-1995 (1995), p. 35.)
Martin and Mary Hogan had ten children.(5) (5 Directory (1910), p. 71.) Two of them became especially well known in northeast Arkansas: William became a Randolph County sheriff, and John (also known as Professor John Hogan) became one of Randolph County's best known public school teachers. (6) (6 Ibid. pp. 290-291.)
Dr. Hogan died August 6, 1916, two years after Mary. nearly 83 years old. His tired and weary body was laid to rest next to his beloved's body in the Maynard Cemetery. (7) (7 Margaret Barnhart, Cemeteries and Burial Sites of Randolph Counry, Arkansas (Warm Springs, Arkansas: Pegasearch, 1988). p. 199.)
-Dr. Michael L. Wilson, Arkansas Christians:A History of the Restoration Movement in Randolph County, Arkansas 1800-1995, c.1997, Delight: Gospel Light Publishing Co., pages 235,236.
Directions To The Grave of Dr. Martin Hogan
The small town of Maynard, Arkansas lies in the northern part of the state, a few miles north of Pocohontas. Head north out of Pocohontas on Hwy. 115. Go into Maynard and turn right on Hwy. 328. Heading out of town you will come to the cemetery on the left. Enter the cemetery and bear to the right. As you begin curving back to the left again, stop and enter the lot to your left, and look for red colored monuments. See photos below to assist.
Photos Taken 11.14.2014
Webpage Produced 02.18.2015
Courtesy of Scott Harp
*Special thanks to Tom L. Childers and Charlie Wayne Kilpatrick for assisting in the burial location. They, along with your web editor, took a trip into northern Arkansas to find the graves of gospel preachers of yesteryear in November, 2014. We traveled together three days and located the final resting places of nearly forty preachers and their families. It was a great trip. Many of the personalities we researched were chronicled in Boyd E. Morgan's book, Arkansas Angels, or later in Dr. Michael L. Wilson's book, Arkansas Christians: A History of the Restoration Movement in Randolph County, 1800-1995.