The Life of Elijah Dickinson
Elijah Dickinson, son of Richard and Ann (Quarles) Dickinson, was born Jan. 26, 1795, in Spottsylvania county, Virginia. He was of Scotch-English descent.
In 1814, during the war of 1812, he joined a volunteer cavalry company and served till the close of the war.
He came to Christian county, Kentucky, about the year 1817. Here he was married October 6, 1819, to Miss Mary Ann Burrus, and in June 1821, they united with the Baptist Church. A few years later the preaching of the primitive gospel was begun in that community by some of our pioneer Disciple preachers. He heard it frankly, and in 1831, with nineteen others, left the Baptist Church and united in organizing a Christian Church, of which he was made an elder.
In the fall of 1835 he removed with his wife and six children J. Quarles, Cynthia M., Celia B., M. Elizabeth, Elmira J., and Elijah W.—to Walnut Grove, Illinois. Here two sons were added to his family, Charles R. and Roger B. A church of Disciples had been organized here several years before. In 1837 he was made one of the elders, and was kept in that office the remainder of his life.
In his early life schools were few and inferior about his boyhood home, and his opportunities for that kind of education were very limited indeed. But he was a thoughtful man, a diligent reader, a close observer, and a good judge of human nature, and so gathered much general information. He was a staunch friend and promoter of thorough education and labored earnestly for the upbuilding of Walnut Grove Academy and Eureka College.
Was elected one of the Board of Trustees of the Academy at its organization in 1850. After the death of President Ben Major, in 1852, he was elected President of the Board, and so continued till his death.
During his early manhood he was a carpenter, but after his marriage he chose farming as his occupation, and continued in it first in Kentucky, then in Illinois. He peacefully fell asleep, July 28, 1862, at his old homestead one and a half miles southwest of the college, and his body reposes in Eureka Cemetery.
History Of Eureka College - Pages 123-124
Directions to the Grave Of Elijah Dickinson
Elijah Dickinson was born January 26, 1795 and died July 28, 1862 at sixty-nine years of age. For ten years he served as president of the Board of Trustees for Eureka College and was one of its founders. Elijah is buried with his family in the Olio Township Cemetery, also known as Eureka Cemetery in Eureka, Illinois. The city is located just east of Peoria on Hwy. 24. In the town center turn right on Hwy. 117. and go past Eureka College, and you will see the cemetery on the left. This cemetery was at one time the old Eureka Christian Church Cemetery. The building has long been gone. Enter into the main entrance of the cemetery and take the second drive to the left. Go to the top of the section, just before the north gate and stop the car. Go into the section to the left. The old obelisk bearing the name of Elijah Dickinson is weather worn with time.
or D.d. 40.711859, -89.271880
Grave Facing South
Location in Cemetery: Div A Section C Lot 4 Grave 4
Jan. 26, 1795
July 28, 1862
In June, 2009 Tom L. Childers, C. Wayne Kilpatrick and Scott Harp traveled about 3000 miles in one week through parts of Tennessee, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky. During this time we found the graves of 75 church leaders in the Restoration Movement. Chronicling these leaders into websites has been time consuming. Many thanks to Tom and Wayne in helping to take photos, share the driving, and putting up with your web master's slave-driving effort to see as many as we did in the time we had. Their photos as well as some of mine are seen on this site. When we arrived at Olio Twp Cemetery, it was late in the evening, and a summer storm was on its way. I had called Rosemary Hartter, the manager of the cemetery, weeks in advance to gather information. When we arrived on Saturday evening, I called her and she was most gracious to come to the cemetery after hours to assist us in finding all the graves. She and the staff at the cemetery have been most gracious to help, and for this we say a special thanks to them.