John Thomas Jones
Biographical Sketches On The Life Of John T. Jones
In 1795, in Bucks county, Penn., there was gladly welcomed into the family of Joshua Jones and his wife Eleanor Thomas, a son, who received the name of his maternal grandfather, John Thomas.
They were of Welsh descent, and young John T. grew up under the stern discipline and constant toil usual at the time.
The community was, religiously, Quaker and Baptist. The old stone Baptist church called Pennepek, that five years ago celebrated its second centennial, still stands, and here the subject of this sketch received his first religious impressions. Soon after attaining his majority, he went to Cincinnati, where he married Miss Ann B. Lawrence, who was called home in a few years, leaving one son.
In 1827 he married Miss Emily Woodward, and in 1831 moved to Jacksonville, Ill. His business capacity, habits of industry and acknowledged integrity of character, gave him many positions of honor and trust. At an early day in "The Reformation," having united with the Church of Christ, he decided to prepare himself for the ministry and devoted his spare time to Bible study.
He loved the society of the children of God and was most loyal to his brethren. His house was the preacher's home, and in dispensing his generous hospitality was ably assisted by his wife, a lady of rare refinement, amiability and intellectual culture.
He was liberal almost to a fault, and the church with which he was connected ever found him one of its most reliable supporters. Mr. Jones was reticent, grave and dignified in demeanor and had an habitual reserve of manner that repelled familiarity; but his heart glowed with a fervor of affection that his exterior did not indicate. In 1847 he moved with his family to Walnut Grove, Woodford county, Illinois. He entered with zest into all the plans for the moral and intellectual development of the place. He was chosen a trustee of the infant college and for twenty-live years never failed to be present at the annual meetings of the Board.
In so limited a sketch it is impossible even to touch upon the events of a life covering 82 years but what one is is of far greater importance than what he does, and here we can only mention the prominent traits forming a character of rare firmness and conscientious activity.
Mr. Jones was progressive and never grew too old to be the friend and adviser of the young preachers. They have called him their "father."
His last years were spent in the family of his son, J. Janvier Jones, in Eureka, kindly and tenderly cared for by his son's wife, Mrs. Lucy Major Jones, until his change came, May 14th, 1877, at the age of 82 years.
Like the setting of the sun in a clear sky, his life closed peacefully and beautifully, with the firm assurance that for him a new and brighter day would dawn. S. E. G.
-History Of Eureka College – p.109-111
Location Of The Grave Of John T. Jones
John T. Jones died May 14, 1877. He served Eureka College many years as a member of the Board of Trustees for Eureka College. He was buried in the Olio Township Cemetery, also known as Eureka Cemetery in Eureka, Illinois. The city is located just east of Peoria on Hwy. 24. In the town center turn right on Hwy. 117. and go past Eureka College, and you will see the cemetery on the left. This cemetery was at one time the old Eureka Christian Church Cemetery. The building has long been gone. Enter into the main entrance of the cemetery and go to the second left. Head up the hill toward the north entrance. Just before the north gate stop. Go into the section to your right. It is the oldest part of the cemetery. In the NE Corner you will find the MAJOR family. Begin moving back down to the right. The Jones plot is just to the right of the Ben Major family plot.
Grave Facing North and West
Location in Cemetery: Div A Section A Lot 4 Grave 20
In June, 2009 Tom L. Childers, C. Wayne Kilpatrick and Scott Harp traveled about 3000 miles in one week through parts of Tennessee, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana and Kentucky. During this time we found the graves of 75 church leaders in the Restoration Movement. Chronicling these leaders into websites has been time consuming. Many thanks to Tom and Wayne in helping to take photos, share the driving, and putting up with your web master's slave-driving effort to see as many as we did in the time we had. Their photos as well as some of mine are seen on this site. When we arrived at Olio Twp Cemetery, it was late in the evening, and a summer storm was on its way. I had called Rosemary Hartter, the manager of the cemetery, weeks in advance to gather information. When we arrived on Saturday evening, I called her and she was most gracious to come to the cemetery after hours to assist us in finding all the graves. She and the staff at the cemetery have been most gracious to help, and for this we say a special thanks to them.