History of the Restoration Movement

Biographical Sketch Of Isaiah Boone Grubbs
by Wayne Kilpatrick

Term Paper For
Restoration Movement Course

Instructor: Earl I. West
Harding Graduate School Of Religion
Memphis, Tennessee


“In 1646, Peter Van Krupps and his wife, the former Miss Vanderbilt, emigrated to New Amsterdam (New York) from near Amsterdam Holland.”[1] He had two sons, John and William. “John went south, dropped the Van, changed “K” to “G” and the “pp” to “bb” and is the forefather of all the Grubbs clan. William went west and was never heard from again. It was believed that he was killed by Indians.”[2] By 1790 the Grubbs clan had covered parts of Virginia, South Carolina, and Kentucky.

“Edmund G. Grubbs, great, great grandson of Peter Grubbs (Krupps) was born in 1770.”[3] In the 1780’s, four of Edmunds G. Grubbs’ brothers headed for Kentucky. Higgason, Jesse, and William came to Kentucky, but Andrew turned back at Cumberland Gap. “Higgason along with Daniel Boone and others were the first trustees of Boonesborough.”[4] Matthew Grubbs, another brother of Edmund, remained in Louisa county, Virginia. “On October 27, 1783, Matthew Grubbs married Sally Shelton.”[5] “January 1, 1814, John T. Grubbs was born into this family.”[6] “John T. Grubbs married Elizabeth Anne Purrington (great, great granddaughter of Daniel Boone, from best sources obtainable).”[7] In 1831, they moved from Louisa county, Virginia, to settle near Trenton, Todd county, Kentucky. The subject of this study was born May 20, 1833, near Trenton, Kentucky. At his birth he received the name which had been that of his great, great, great uncle, Isaiah Boone.


While still very young, Isaiah Boone Grubbs and his parents moved near Hopkinsville, in Christian county, Kentucky. He was reared on his father’s farm. “He was poor and by hard struggle and self-denial he went to school. . .”[8] He submitted to the call of the Messiah at the age of eighteen. Upon hearing J. B. Ferguson preach, he was baptized in 1851. The spring of the following year, 1852, “he commenced preaching, by a unanimous call of the congregation worshiping at Pembroke, with which he was identified.”[9] After preaching for a few months, I. B. decided to prepare himself, thoroughly, for the Lord’s work. In the fall of 1851, he entered Oakland Institute, . . .” then conducted by A. L. Johnson and A. J. Wyatt.”[10] Oakland Institute was located in the adjoining Montgomery county, Tennessee, near Clarksville. After two years of study, under the capable instructions of Johnson and Wyatt, young Grubbs left Oakland Institute in the spring of 1854. In the fall of the same year he began teaching school in Todd county. This he continued for “about seven months”,[11] until the spring of 1855.

His hunger for knowledge began gnawing at him again; so in the fall of 1855, he entered Bethany College where he obtained his degree “under the instruction of Campbell, Pendleton, Richardson, Milligan, and others who were at the zenith of their intellectual and spiritual powers.”[12] This was the beginning of “an ever-growing and continuous development of his mental and spiritual nature, until be became an exegete of the first order.”[13] On July 4, 1857, he was graduated with honor.

Upon returning to Todd county, after graduation at Bethany College, I. B. married Olympia Velumna Beauchamp. “They were married October 1, 1857.”[14] They had met while they both had been teaching school in Todd county during the year of 1855. Miss Beauchamp was the daughter of Milton Beauchamp. Milton’s brother, Jerome Beauchamp, was involved in one of Kentucky’s greatest tragedies. “Jerome Beauchamp stabbed Col. Solomon P. Sharp to death November 6, 1825”[15] He was finally convicted and sentenced to hang. His wife, Anna Book Beauchamp, brought him some poison and the both of them attempted suicide unsuccessfully. “On July 7, 1826, the day set for Beauchamp’s hanging, Anna brought a butcher knife to Beauchamp. He took it and stabbed himself; Anna then took the knife and stabbed herself.”[16] While Beauchamp was dying from the knife wound, he was taken out and hanged. “Anna died the same hour from her wound.”[17] Olympia Beauchamp learned to live the tragedy down, and so did her family. Her granddaughter writes: “All were so charming and kin one could be proud of; [sic] All through several lines from Grandpa’s family and . . . Grandma’s family, too, in spite of the tragedy.”[18] Olympia Beauchamp was a woman of “superior mind and fine education.”[19] She and I. B. Grubbs corresponded regularly until their marriage in 1857.

During the courtship between I. B. Grubbs and Olympia Beauchamp, they wrote letters in such philosophical terminology that only their brilliant minds could decipher the true meaning of their thoughts. In a letter to brother Grubbs, Olympia writes: “At this still hour I am at home where I have the privilege of retiring to spend a few moments in penning a few lines to one who is far away, and expresses a very deep concern for my welfare and happiness.”[20] In a letter to Olympia, he writes: “If ever affection swayed its bothersome influence over my unconscious bosom, it was in one of those hours that memory slept and failed to record the odious fact in the faithful tablets of the mind.”[21] Brother Grubbs continued this difficult, philosophical style the remainder of his life. Years later, W. C. Morro writes of him: “He did not write easily. He expressed himself in complicated, philosophical phrases.”[22]

After their marriage and in the spring of 1859, I. B. and Olympia moved to Paducah, Kentucky. Here he preached and taught for eighteen months. The church in Paducah “was very weak at this time.”[23] The same year, Dr. J. F. Hendrick, “a Presbyterian preacher of superior reputation,”[24] accepted the Pastorate in Paducah. He severely attacked the Baptists and Disciples on the position concerning baptism. The two churches united in a plan to have someone answer these arguments. I. B. Grubbs had taken careful notes on Hendrick’s addresses. A book which Hendrick had published, together with the notes Grubbs had taken were to be furnished to an invited preacher. The Disciples were to select the guest speaker, and upon I. B. Grubbs’ suggestion, J. W. McGarvey of Dover, Missouri, was obtained. McGarvey writes, concerning the results: “Results, a great impetus to the church there which from a very small handful meeting in a little unpainted frame house, soon became the strongest church in the city.”[25] The church owed much of its growth to the labors of I. B. Grubbs. In the summer of 1859, Brother and sister Grubbs moved to Eminence, Kentucky, a north Kentucky town in Henry county, between Louisville and Frankfort. Here he was appointed to the chair of Greek and Logic at Eminence College. Soon he was called to preach for the “large and flourishing church at Eminence.”[26] Near the close of 1860, during the excitement which preceded the stormy days of the Civil War, he moved to nearby Scott county. Winter had set in when the Grubbs arrived. Brother Grubbs had determined to remain quiet until the end of that tremendous conflict, but just like Jeremiah, he could say: “But his word was in mine heart as a burning fire shut up in my bones, and I was weary with forbearing, and I could not stay.”[27] Soon he was preaching for three or four churches.

He continued to journey back to Eminence and preach. At Eminence he met F. G. Allen, who had come to Eminence to school in August 1862. Earl I. West writes concerning these two men: “At Eminence, Allen formed a close friendship with I. B. Grubbs that remained through life.”[28] Grubbs worked in this area until 1864, when he was appointed the “chair of Latin and Mathematics in Flemingsburg College.”[29] It is likely that he held the chair of Greek also in Flemingsburg College.[30] After receiving this appointment, he moved to Flemingsburg, Fleming county, Kentucky. He taught there for fifteen months. During this time he preached for the churches at Elizaville and Poplar Plains alternately. After resigning his professorship, he continued to preach for these two churches. He located with the congregation at Poplar Plains in 1866, and remained until December 1868. He, by now, had gained a reputation as one of the most loved preachers in Kentucky. The church at Poplar Plains, upon learning of Grubbs’ intention to terminated his work with them, wrote a commendatory note to be published in the American Christian Review and the Christian Standard. The note thus stated: “Whereas our beloved Minister, Elder I. B. Grubbs, is about to sever his connection with this Congregation, and whereas, the relationship he has sustained to us for the last four years has been most pleasant and agreeable; and his labors arduous and difficult, and under all these trying circumstances he has deemed himself as a Christian and a gentleman, and deserves the highest consideration of this Congregation.”[31] This was resolved “by order of the Congregation at Poplar Plains on December 15, 1868.”[32] When the congregation at Eminence heard that Grubbs had left Poplar Plains, “by unanimous voice of the church”[33] they voted to re-call brother Grubbs to preach for the Eminence congregation. In the early months of 1869, he moved back to Eminence to begin another happy and prosperous four years of labor. It was during his labors here, while striving to organize a congregation at Cave City, Barren county, Kentucky, he was nearly killed in a storm. On the night of January 17, 1870, while sleeping in an upper room in Cave City, a cyclone struck the city and demolished it. McGarvey recalls brother Grubbs’ description of what happens in “An Appreciation” written for the Crimson of 1910 at Kentucky University. He writes: “The frame building which he occupied was literally torn to pieces down to the foundation, and he was hurled through the air a distance of a hundred yards. He fell without clothing in a cold rain and in a badly bruised condition. He lay where he fell till he saw the light where some other victims of the disaster had kindled a fire in the cellar of a dismantled house, and by calling for help he obtained clothing and warmth.”[34] His granddaughter still recalls her grandfather saying: “I grabbed hold of a small tree and held on. It nearly beat me to death in the storm.”[35] He was confined to bed for several months. It is highly probable that this disaster helped to gradually wear him down and eventually cause his death. He received a call from the Floyd and Chestnut Street Church in Louisville. In January 1873, he moved to Louisville and began a three-year ministry. While there he labored with three other men, two of whom he had made prior acquaintance, Samuel A. Kelly and F. G. Allen. The third man was G. C. Taylor. He had already met F. G. Allen at Eminence and Samuel A. Kelly down in Barren county, while laboring near Cave City. G. C. Taylor writes concerning the Louisville days: “There were four of us near the same age who labored together, heart to heart and hand to hand, in the vicinity of Louisville in those good old days of a united church.”[36] Allen, Kelly and Grubbs all were of frail and delicate constitutions. This labor in friendship continued in Louisville until 1876.

In the beginning of 1876, by urgent request of the former editors of the Apostolic Times he agreed to take editorial charge of that paper. The paper had its beginning after Lard’s Quarterly had died in 1868. Five notable men got together immediately and made planned to establish the Apostolic Times. These men were Moses E. Lard, John W. McGarvey, L. B. Wilkes, W. H. Hopson, and Robert Graham. The first issue appeared April 15, 1869. After about three years changes of residence and other circumstances led to the withdrawal of Lard, Hopson and Wilkes. The retirement of these three men left the paper solely in the hands of McGarvey and Graham. Both men were “closely engaged in teaching and preaching.”[37] They persuaded R. C. Cave to take charge of the paper. This only lasted for one year. He resigned and went to preach in Georgetown, Kentucky. McGarvey and Graham induced I. B. Grubbs and Samuel A. Kelly to come to Lexington and continue the paper. McGarvey recounts the situation: “At this time two comparatively young Kentuckians, I. B. Grubbs and Samuel Kelly had gained a superior reputation as writers and men of judgment, and being ambitious to increase their usefulness were easily induced to take the places of Graham and McGarvey.”[38] Grubbs had written several articles, before this, for Lard’s Quarterly, and Christian Standard. During this brief period he “proved himself a writer of great vigor and clearness of thought. As a writer, he possessed a lucid style.”[39] This was far from W. C. Morro’s description of brother Grubbs’s writing saying: “He did not write easily. He expressed himself in complicated, philosophical phrases.”[40] McGarvey was a close friend of Grubbs and Morro was not. This could account for the differences of opinions concerning his writings. He continued his editorship for about eighteen months, and in the summer of 1877 resigned his post with the Apostolic Times.

The College of the Bible of Kentucky University was unable to continue its work. This was brought about by the combined financial losses and the death of Robert Milligan, March 20, 1875. An attempt was made to keep McGarvey and Robert Graham as teachers in a new effort at the College of the Bible. This ended in 1877. A movement was begun to establish a new and independent College of the Bible. A temporary board of management was appointed. At a meeting on July 27, 1877, the newly constituted board chose for a faculty Robert Graham, J. W. McGarvey, and I. B. Grubbs. “I. B. Grubbs had disposed of his interest in the Apostolic Times and thus were brought together three most congenial spirits and steadfast friends, who worked together in perfect harmony till separated by death.”[41] Each of these three men took to the field and raised sufficient money, payable in annual installments, to meet the current expenses. The canvassing continued and along with aid of S. H. King of Stanford, Kentucky, “a charter was obtained from the Legislature.”[42] In September 1877, the new College of the Bible opened. Three large basement rooms of the Main Street Christian Church were freely given for classrooms, and a large boarding house was rented for a dormitory. The first session began with forty-one students and in June 1878, thirteen graduated. This began I. B. Grubbs’ career as professor in the College of the Bible for the next thirty years.

By now brother Grubbs health had started to deteriorate. John S. Shouse recalls: “I remember distinctly the first time I ever saw him. It was upon the rostrum of the chapel of Kentucky University at Harrodsburg. He was introduced to us by that man of God, the best man I ever knew, Robert Milligan, who was then the president of the university. Brother Grubbs was then frail and the impression first experienced was that of sympathy and the fear that he could not live long. That was fifty years since.”[43] During his life he was afflicted almost continuously, and he conducted his work as preacher, teacher, and writer under these conditions. Shouse further states: “I never heard a murmur escape his lips, nor did he impeach for one moment the wisdom of his Father who permitted it, nor did his beautiful faith suffer an eclipse.”[44] Hardly an article was written, mentioning him, without mentioning his frail condition. McGarvey writes: “One of the most remarkable characteristics of the man has been his tenacity of life. . .He has undergone surgical operations sufficient in number and severity to have killed a half dozen ordinary men; yet still he is left with an intellect as clear as ever, and a heart as warm.”[45] “His students revered and rejoiced in him as the splendid scholar and teacher whose examples was harmonious with his masterly instruction.”[46] A saying was going around the College of the Bible: “We revere Graham, We admire McGarvey, but we love Grubbs.”[47] This saying comes down to the present day in different forms but they all bear witness to the fact that Grubbs was loved above all other teachers at the college of the Bible. The students who sat under his influence felt the glow of his love for God and the power of his faith. “He addressed his classes with the warmth and fervor of an orator. A person hearing him from an adjoining room might suppose that he was addressing a large audience.”[48] He introduced the students to the riches of Paul’s thought, with enthusiasm of manner and fervor of spirit. This aroused the enthusiasm of the student while understanding, more clearly, the abstruse passages of the Apostle Paul. Brother Grubbs’ voice was high pitched, and in moments of excitement it became almost a falsetto. When dealing with Paul’s writings, there were times when his shrill tones could be heard on the college campus. At times like this someone was likely to say, “Professor Grubbs must be lecturing on the seventh chapter of Romans.”[49]

His frailty become so great that students, for fear he would not live through another year, would take his courses early. They did this twenty years before brother Grubbs retired. Finally these maladies began taking their toll. In the spring of 1904, Grubbs was in the hospital with what was thought a fatal illness. McGarvey writes of a visit with brother Grubbs and tells of the conversation that ensued. Brother Grubbs said to McGarvey: “The highest honor I have enjoyed on earth is that of having been a servant of Jesus Christ, and next is that of having been intimately associated for so many years with Robert Graham and J. W. McGarvey.”[50] McGarvey promptly responded, “And the highest honors I have enjoyed is that of having been intimately associated with Robert Milligan, Robert Graham and I. B. Grubbs.”[51]

The love and understanding McGarvey had toward Grubbs was shown when he wrote: “No doubt the physical weakness under which his strenuous labor has been maintained, exciting the sympathy of the young men, has contributed to this popularity, and we stronger men have been able to console ourselves for our inferior place in the hearts of students by this consideration.”[52] He further recalls, “During his whole career as a professor, I do not remember that a single student ever regarded him with disrespect, and never was there the least ruffling of feeling between him and his fellow professors.”[53]

This same feeling about brother Grubbs was felt at home also. His granddaughter recalls, “I lived with I. B. G. and O. V. G. for several years and had never heard one cross word. When I told my father that, he reminded me that he had lived there for a longer period than I had and that he had never heard one either.”[54] He would never come into their house, on 443 West Fourth Street, without calling for O. V. G. and going through the house until he found her. Then he would find a book and settle down to work, completely satisfied. His consideration for others was manifested often. Once sister Grubbs had saved twenty dollars to buy the children some shoes. She gave it to I. B. He met a lady who needed to buy a sewing machine, in order to support her family. He cheerfully gave the money to the woman in need. Needless to say, his children went without shoes.

In home life he was a very formal man, as well as in college life. He insisted upon being just as formal at the eating table also. At the Grubbs table there were two bells to be rung, one with a deep tone and one with a sharp tone. When the bells were rung it meant to come to the table immediately. W. H., Eugene, and Jesse were expected to wear jackets to the table each time. One evening the boys decided not to wear their jackets to the table. When they were seated, I. B. said: “Boys! You can eat when you go get dressed.”[55] He loved to relax and enjoyed good music also. His sons could play the mandolin and guitar. Evenings at the Grubbs’ home was enjoyable.

His love for instrumental music never extended beyond home life. He bitterly opposed instrumental music in worship. As early as 1881 he had written articles in the Christian Standard and Christian Evangelist against instrumental music. His stand was borne out on the pages of the Apostolic Times, time and time again. In 1902, the Broadway Christian Church voted to install the organ. McGarvey and his wife, and about a dozen other members, left Broadway in the early part of 1903, and presented letters to the Chestnut Street Church. Brother Grubbs, who had removed his membership some years before, was asked to receive McGarvey into the church. Upon McGarvey’s arrival, bother Grubbs said, “Brother McGarvey, we would rather have you than ten thousand aids to worship.”[56] This statement summed up his attitude on the entire question.

1905 brought sadness to the career of brother Grubbs. By June he had dropped out of the College of the Bible temporarily, because of growing pain and discomfort. In the annual Presidents report to the board of trustees, it was requested by the President that Professor Grubbs be granted leave of absence for one session “with a continuance of his a salary, and that this was on account of his physical debility.”[57] The fall session began and Grubbs presented himself ready to undertake his usual work, but he yielded to the judgment of his friends and his physician. His health never improved. He was able to teach parts of his sessions. In 1907, because of extremely enfeebled health, he had to retire from the faculty of the College of the Bible. The Board of Trustees voted to continue his salary.

Upon retirement, he sent his entire library to his son, Jesse W. Grubbs. Unfortunately, the books were lost in transport and never recovered. When he felt well enough, he would write articles for papers and sometimes go for long walks in the city. Of his condition, McGarvey wrote: “he is chiefly confined to his room, but he is able in moderate weather to take out-door exercise, and may be seen like a walking shadow on the smoother sidewalks of the city. He is literally waiting, waiting till the shadows shall a little longer grows--then eternal freedom from pain, eternal rejoicing in the smile of Him whom he has served so long and so well.”[58] He managed to be present September 20, 1909, for a ceremony in honor of his service to the College of the Bible. He was given a scroll and “a sterling pitcher hanging from a nest with its goblet.”[59] A tribute to him was carved on the goblet. A picture of him was hung in Morris Chapel, where it hung until the chapel burned. From then onward his health steadily declined. The last several days before he departed this life, his daughter Lula Klingman, wife of George A. Klingman, was at his side. On the morning of September 18, 1912, he was thought to be improving, so Mrs. Klingman left for her home in Bowling Green. Later that day he took a turn for the worse and “he fell asleep on Wednesday, September 18, at 1:30 P.M.”[60]

His funeral was conducted at the Broadway Church of Christ at 3:00 P.M. on the 20th, by John S. Shouse, assisted by Mark Collis, in the presence of an assemblage of friends, the Faculties and students of the college.”[61] John Shouse and I. B. Grubbs had made prior agreement that whoever died first, the one remaining would preach the deceased’s funeral. “When I. B. G. died, Shouse was notified and he came half way across the continent to preach I. B. G.’s funeral.”[62] M. C. Kurfees also spoke at the funeral.[63] As the family was leaving the grave side, word came to them that Grubbs’ youngest son, Jesse W., had passed away. He died “before the funeral cortege reached the church with the remains of his father.”[64] His death came not as a surprise; he had been suffering from tuberculosis since March 1911.

Brother Grubbs’ influence lasted for many years after his passing. May we never forget the good work this great man wrought in God’s Kingdom.


He achieved the highest human levels of Christian character. This should always be remembered as a man’s greatest achievement. He achieved the status of being the best loved professor in the College of the Bible. One lasting achievement was assimilated after his death by his son-in-law, George A. Klingman. Some years before brother Grubbs’ death a symposium was held on the Bible. The symposium brought together “famous churchmen all over the world, including the Dean of Canterbury. I. B. G.’s notes on Romans was selected above all other entries. These notes were the ones George A. Klingman put into book form.”[65] In the Editor’s Preface, Klingman wrote, “With the hope and prayer that the “inspiration” received by the hundreds of students whose privilege it was to hear the lecture of Prof. Grubbs on this great letter, may be enjoyed by the readers of this volume, the editor humbly submits this work with love.”[66] Another exegetical work was published in 1893, “Exegetical Analysis Of The Epistles.”[67] This work was never acclaimed as was the Commentary on Romans.


Although he was as gentle as a lamb sometimes, and when occasion demanded it, he would stand like a lion. “He was possessed of well defined conviction and he had the courage to stand on them. McGarvey described him: “As a teacher, while cool and clear-headed in his exegesis, he is an enthusiast of the warmest blood, not to say of hot blood, when he comes to speak in defense of Scripture teaching against all assailants.”[68] He loved to see the truth defended publicly. It may be remembered that in 1859, he was instrumental in getting McGarvey to Paducah to debate Hendrick. In November of 1868, he attended a debate in Barren county, Kentucky, between Samuel A. Kelly and N. G. Terry. His notes on this debate were published in the Christian Standard’s November 14, 1868, issue.[69] He was involved in a written debate with Thomas Munnell, on the subject of “Elders and Preachers” in the pages of the Christian Standard in 1869. On January 17, 1874, James Challen wrote an article entitled, “Old and New”[70] in which he attacked the College of the Bible and similar institutions. Grubbs took issue with him and a written debate followed. In September and October 1885, at Burlington Junction, Missouri, Grubbs debated W. F. Jamieson. He never ceased to oppose error, like the Apostle Paul, he was always “. . . set for the defense of the gospel.”[71]


Earl I. West, in his The Search For The Ancient Order, Volume 2, said, “McGarvey, Grubbs, Allen, Lard, and S. A. Kelly each believed in organized societies and defended them vigorously upon the ground of expediency.”[72] There seems to be some question concerning this. In Grubbs reply to James Challen’s attack on Kentucky University, he wrote, “I cannot see how it is any more dangerous to the peace of the churches that they should appoint men to elect a board of Curators than their appointment of men to represent them in missionary meetings, and to elect a missionary board.”[73] To cloud the stand of Grubbs toward societies further, J. H. Garrison said, “On the eve of the Pittsburgh Centennial Convention he said: ‘Tell the brethren that I am in deepest sympathy with all their missionary activities and that only the physical infirmities upon my life prevent my presence.’”[74] M. C. Kurfees writes, “That great shining trio–Graham, Grubbs, and McGarvey–God bless them!–are now all gone. When shall we look upon their like again? The first and the last names entertained views concerning the missionary society which we could not endorse, but they were great and good men and God alone can correctly estimate the value of their lives.”[75] Garrison’s and Kurfees’ statements are in opposition to one another.[76]


The beginning of 1904, “John and Benjiman Thomas of Shelby county, Kentucky, two brothers who lived together on the same farm and conducted business together, proposed to give $25,000.00 to the endowment (at College of the Bible) on condition that $75,000.00 should be secured first of April 1905.”[77] The brothers gave another six months extension and the amount was raised.

The $25,000.00 given by the Thomas brothers was used at their own request to set up the “Grubbs Choir of Exegesis,” because of “his excellence in this department, combined with great admiration for him personally.”[78] He truly was a great and well loved man. Echoing Kurfees’ words, “When shall we look upon” his “likes again.”[79]


Challen, James. “Old And New.” Christian Standard 9, January 17, 1874.

. “Kentucky University And The Churches Of Christ - Rejoinder to Bro. Grubbs.” Christian Standard 9, February 14, 1874.

Garrison, J. H., ed. The Old Faith Restated. St. Louis: Christian Publishing Company, 1891.

. “Isaiah B. Grubbs; A Saintly Life Ended.” Christian Evangelist 49, September 28, 1912.

Grubbs, I. B. “The Eldership.” Christian Standard 3, December 5, 1868.

. “Samuel A. Kelly.” Christian Standard 3, November 14, 1868.

. “Centralism And The Movement In Kentucky - Reply to Brother Challen.” Christian Standard 9, February 7, 1874.

Johnson, L. K. Famous Kentucky Trials and Tragedies. Lexington: Henry Clay Press, 1972.

Klingman, George A., ed. Commentary On Paul’s Epistle To The Romans. Nashville: Gospel Advocate Company.

Kurfees, M. C. “The Death Of Isaiah Boone Grubbs.” Gospel Advocate 54, October 10, 1912.

McGarvey, J. W. “Professor Grubbs And The College Of The Bible.” Christian Standard 41, September 30, 1905.

. “An Appreciation.” Crimson. Kentucky University, 1910.

. Autobiography of J. W. McGarvey. Lexington: The College Of The Bible, 1960.

Morro, W. C. Brother McGarvey. St. Louis: Bethany Press, 1940.

>Shouse, John S. “Gathering Homeward.” Christian Standard 48, October 5, 1912.

. “A Long Journey Ended.” Christian Standard 48, October 12, 1912.

. “Our Honored Dead.” Christian Standard 48, October 12, 1912.

Taylor, G. C. “A Tribute To Brother Grubbs.” Gospel Advocate 54, October 10, 1912.

West, Earl Irvin. The Search For The Ancient Order. Vol. 2. Indianapolis, Indiana: Religious Book Service, 1950.


“Commendatory.” Christian Standard 4, January 2, 1869.

“Isaiah Boone Grubbs.” Crimson. Kentucky University, 1897.

“Prof. Isaiah Boone Grubbs Dead.” Gospel Advocate 54, September 26, 1912.


Beauchamp, Olympia V. Personal Letter. Elkton, Kentucky, February 28, 1857.

Grubbs, Birdie. Interview held at Christian Nursing Home, Lauderdale County, Alabama. October 17, 1976.

. “A Vignette Of Memories For The Family,” Unpublished Manuscript. p. 3.

Grubbs, I. B. Personal Letter. Bethany, Virginia, January 22, 1857.

Grubbs, Josephine. Personal Letter. Lexington, Kentucky. October 17, 1933.

Grubbs, Robert B., Lt. Col. U. S. Army, Retired. “Genealogy Of The Grubbs Family As Obtained From Various Sources.” May 20, 1935.

Grubbs, W. E. Personal Letter. Shelby City, Kentucky. February 12, 1900.

Hadder, Lois C. Deputy Clerk, Louisa Circuit Court, Virginia, Signed Deposition From Marriage Resister (1766-1861). p. 23.

End Notes

[1]W. E. Grubbs, personal letter, Feb. 18, 1900.

[2]Josephine Grubbs, personal letter, Oct. 17, 1933.

[3]W. E. Grubbs, personal letter, Feb. 18, 1900.


[5]Louisa County Courthouse, Louisa County, Virginia, Marriage Resister (1766-1861) p. 23. (Photo Copy.)

[6]Birdie Grubbs, I. B. Grubbs’ granddaughter, interview held October 17, 1976, Lauderdale County, Alabama.

[7]Robert B. Grubbs, Lt. Col., U. S. Army, Retired, “Manuscript of Grubbs Family As Obtained From Various Sources,” May 20, 1935.

[8]John S. Shouse, “A Long Journey Ended,” Christian Standard 48 (October 12, 1912): 1651.

[9]J. H. Garrison, The Old Faith Restated, (St. Louis: Christian Publishing Company, 1891) 148.



[12]John S. Shouse, “A Long Journey Ended,” p. 1651.


[14]Birdie Grubbs, Interview, October 17, 1976.

[15]L. K. Johnson, Famous Kentucky Trials and Tragedies, (Lexington: Henry Clay Press, 1972): p. 46.

[16]Ibid., p. 55.


[18]Birdie Grubbs, “A Vignette Of Memories For The Family,” p. 1. (Mimeographed.)

[19]M. C. Kurfees, “The Death of Isaiah Boone Grubbs,” Gospel Advocate 54 (October 10, 1912):1120.

[20]Olympia Beauchamp, personal letter, February 28, 1857.

[21]I. B. Grubbs, personal letter, January 22, 1857.

[22]W. C. Morro, Brother McGarvey, (St. Louis: Bethany Press, 1940) p. 132.

[23]J. H. Garrison, The Old Faith Restated, p. 148.

[24]J. W. McGarvey, Autobiography, (Lexington: College of the Bible, 1960): p. 21.

[25]Ibid., p. 22

[26]J. H. Garrison, The Old Faith Restated, p. 148.

[27]Jeremiah 20:9.

[28]Earl I. West, The Search For The Ancient Order, Vol. 2 (Indianapolis: Religious Book Service, 1950) p. 183.

[29]Crimson, Vol. 1 (Lexington: Kentucky University, 1897), p. 15.

[30]J. H. Garrison, The Old Faith Restated, p. 148. In a sketch of Grubbs’ life, which was composed from material obtained from Grubbs, himself, Garrison states: “Being appointed to the chair of Greek and Latin and Higher Mathematics in Flemingsburg College, he removed to that town in 1864.”

[31]“Commendatory”, Christian Standard, 4 (Jan. 2, 1869):8.


[33]J. H. Garrison, The Old Faith Restated, p. 148.

[34]J. W. McGarvey, “An Appreciation,” Crimson (Lexington: Kentucky University, 1910).

[35]Birdie Grubbs, Interview, October 17, 1976.

[36]G. C. Taylor, “A Tribute To Brother Grubbs,” Gospel Advocate 54 (October 10, 1912), p. 1121.

[37]J. W. McGarvey, Autobiography, p. 31.


[39]J. W. McGarvey, “An Appreciation,” Crimson (Lexington: Kentucky University, 1910).

[40]W. C. Morro, Brother McGarvey, (St. Louis: Bethany Press, 1940), p. 131.

[41]J. W. McGarvey, Autobiography p. 38.

[42]Ibid., p. 37.

[43]John S. Shouse, “A Long Journey Ended,” p. 1651.


[45]J. W. McGarvey, “An Appreciation.”

[46]J. H. Garrison, “Isaiah Boone Grubbs; A Saintly Life Ended,” Christian Evangelist 49 (September 26, 1912):1360.

[47]Birdie Grubbs, Interview, October 17, 1976.

[48]J. W. McGarvey, “An Appreciation.”

[49]W. C. Morro, Brother McGarvey, pp. 130-31.

[50]J. W. McGarvey, Autobiography, p. 52.


[52]J. W. McGarvey, “Professor Grubbs And The College Of The Bible,” Christian Standard 41 (September 30, 1905): 1561.

[53]Ibid., “An Appreciation.”

[54]Birdie Grubbs, “ A Vignette Of Memories For The Family,” p. 2. (Mimeographed.)

[55]Idem, Interview, October 17, 1976.

[56]W. C. Morro, Brother McGarvey, p. 223.

[57]J. W. McGarvey, “Professor Grubbs And The College Of The Bible,” p. 1561.

[58]J. W. McGarvey, “An Appreciation.”

[59]Birdie Grubbs, “A Vignette Of Memories For The Family,” p. 3.

[60]John S. Shouse, “Our Honored Dead,” Christian Standard 48 (October 12, 1912): 1694.


[62]Birdie Grubbs, Interview, October 17, 1976.

[63]“Professor Isaiah B. Grubbs Dead,” Gospel Advocate 54 (September 28, 1912): 1077.

[64]John S. Shouse, “Our Honored Dead,” p. 1694.

[65]Birdie Grubbs, “A Vignette Of Memories For The Family,” p. 3.

[66]George A. Klingman, ed., Commentary on Paul Epistle to the Romans, by I. B. Grubbs, (Nashville: Gospel Advocate Company) 6th edition, p. 3.

[67]I. B. Grubbs, Exegetical Analysis Of The Epistles, (Chaplin, Kentucky: John Marcrom Publishers, 1893): 3.

[68]J. W. McGarvey, Autobiography, p. 80.

[69]I. B. Grubbs, “Samuel A. Kelly,” Christian Standard 3 (November 14, 1868): 362.

[70]James Challen, “Old and New,” Christian Standard 9 (January 17, 1874): 17.

[71]Philippians 1:17.

[72]Earl I. West, The Search For The Ancient Order, Vol. 2, (Indianapolis: Religious Book Service, 1950) p. 183.

[73]I. B. Grubbs, “Kentucky University And The Kentucky Brotherhood,” Christian Standard 9 (March 14, 1874): 82.

[74]J. H. Garrison, “Isaiah B. Grubbs; A Saintly Life Ended,” p. 1360.

[75]M. C. Kurfees, “The Death Of Isaiah Boone Grubbs,” Gospel Advocate 54 (October 10, 1912): 1120.

[76]J. H. Garrison’s honest has been called in question by the brotherhood before, and M. C. Kurfees was a student and very close friend of I. B. Grubbs, whose integrity has not been called into question by the brotherhood. We must conclude that I. B. Grubbs did not entertain the views of the missionary society.

[77]J. W. McGarvey, Autobiography, p. 80.

[78]J. W. McGarvey, “Professor Grubbs And The College Of The Bible,” p. 1561.

[79]M. C. Kurfees, “The Death Of Isaiah Boone Grubbs,” p. 1120.

Back To I.B. Grubbs Page

History Home

History Index Page